|Ben Lomond Key Events|
|by Debbie Robison|
1724 – Robert Carter of Nomini Hall received a land grant for a tract of land encompassing the site.
1732 – Robert “Councillor” Carter inherited the tract from his father.
1804 – Sally Carter Chinn, who married Dr. John Chinn, inherited the tract from her father.
1829 – Benjamin Tasker Chinn inherited
the tract. By
1830 – Benjamin Tasker Chinn appears on
personal property tax rolls for
1832 – Land tax records note “New building Added”. Total value of buildings increased from $100 to $1,500.
1836 – Benjamin Tasker Chinn and Edmonia Carter Chinn purchased 1,200 acres (land known as Cancer) from Richard T. Mitchell and wife on October 11, 1836.
1841 – Benjamin Tasker Chinn and Edmonia
Carter Chinn sold 640 acres of the 1,200 bought five years earlier to the Rev.
Lovell Marders, who had married Benjamin Tasker Chinn’s sister Sarah. They also
sold to Marders the northern-most 50 acres of Ben Lomond in
1852 – Benjamin Thornton leased
1855 – Benjamin Thornton leased
1861 – Confederate doctor E.A. Craighill
established temporary field hospital at
1861-1862 – Confederate General Smith
purported to have had headquarters at
1862 – Food, tobacco, candles, guns, trunks, a wagon wheel, horses, a saddle, and two bridles alleged by Thomas Pringle to have been confiscated by Union troops from March 1862 though April 1863. (Referenced smokehouse)
1862 – Union troops of the 8th
1865 – Value of houses adjusted in tax assessment. Reduced by $500 due to damage to buildings.
1870 – William H. Campbell acquired tract
though a land swap transaction with Benjamin Tasker Chinn for a parcel in
1885 – William H. Campbell leased
1885 - The assessed value of buildings rose from an 1884 value of $2,400 to $4,000 in 1885. No explanation was provided in the tax records for the increase.
1891 – Judgment damages of $2,000 awarded
1900 – William H. and Fanny B. Sholes
1901 – John F. Rixey, congressman, and
Ellen B. Rixey, wife purchased
1910 – Estate of John F. Rixey (d. Feb 9, 1907), passed to his son, Presley Marion Rixey on April 1, 1910.
1911 – Surgeon General P. J. Rixey sold
walnut timber to Mr. C.K. Comly, of
1915 – Frederick W. and Emma Bruch
1918 – Flyer advertising public livestock auction by A.E. Bruch announces he is going into the dairy business.
1927 – Fannie B. Harris purchased
1927 – Fannie B. & George G. Harris
divided parcel into thirteen tracts delineated in survey and plat by W. B.
Robards, C.E. on October 25, 1927. Estate Auction was advertised for Monday,
October 31st at 10 a.m. The auction continued on November 1st.
Newspaper accounts estimated the attendance at 1,000 people each day of the
sale. Tracts 1 & 2 sold to Joseph Bailey and Samuel G. Bailey. Tracts 3
& 4 sold to Percival A. Lewis and Emily R. Lewis. Tract 11 sold to John E.
Barrett. All land purchases were made on October 31, 1927 and each of the
purchasers lived in Prince William Co. (Tracts 12 & 13 were located in
1928 – Charles C. & Mary Neville Lynn purchased, on February 21, 1928, Ben Lomond comprised of Tracts 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 delineated on the October 25, 1927 Robards survey and plat. Acreage contained the Ben Lomond Stone House described on survey as “Main Residence”.
1936 – Salomon Costa and Sofia Esperanza
Cruz de Costa purchased
1936 – HABS Survey performed 3 June 1936 by photographer John Brostrup.
1941 – Salomon Costa and Sofia Esperanza
de Costa leased oil and gas rights to the Virginia Petroleum Corporation on
November 26, 1941. The lease gave exclusive rights for drilling and laying
pipes to convey water, oil, steam, and gas to drill and operate a well. The
well could not be built within 200 feet of the dwelling house or barn without
written consent and the well site had to meet with the approval of the Health
Department of the
1947 – Thomas J. & Marguerite Carey
1951 – Robert L. Garner purchased
1956 – Robert L. Garner purchased tract 11 from John E. Barret and Marie W. Barrett on May 29, 1956.
1966 – Martin R. West, Jr., James E.
Millar, and Lester A. Sorenson, Trustees associated with Sorenson Construction
and Woodbridge Associates purchased
1980 – Small stone building moved to the
east of Ben Lomond manor house to make way for the
1981 – West, Millar, and Sorensen,
trustees, gifted Ben Lomond manor house parcel to