|Colvin Run School|
Built in 1908 |
by Debbie Robison
February 17, 2008
||THE BURNT SCHOOLHOUSE|
The Colvin Run schoolhouse was
constructed in 1908 after the previous schoolhouse on the same lot burned down.
The first Colvin Run schoolhouse was constructed on one acre of land purchased
from James and Olivia Mateer in 1894. Unfortunately, this schoolhouse was destroyed
by fire. On March 27, 1908 the Dranesville District School Board
of Trustees met at the burnt school house and decided by unanimous vote to
|CONSTRUCTION OF THE SCHOOLHOUSE
Plans and specifications for the new school were to be prepared by Mr. Robinson, the Architect for the State Board of Education. The School Board wanted the size of the rooms to be 24’x30’ by 14 feet high. Funds to build the new school were obtained from the Fairfax Fire Insurance Company who insured the burnt schoolhouse and school furniture.
Messrs. William E. Reid and J. M. Thompson were awarded the contract to build the schoolhouse for $1,500. Extra funds were allocated for materials and labor to lay subflooring (including the paper.) Construction began by August 1908 when Reid and Thomspson were funded for purchasing lumber for the schoolhouse.
Some of the items from the burnt
schoolhouse were salvaged, including two old windows, seven window blinds, some
old burnt window weights, and two old doors. The windows were purchased by C.
E. Wynkook, and the contractor for the new schoolhouse, Mr. W. E. Reid,
purchased the large door for one dollar. One old blackboard was carried to
The new schoolhouse was likely
finished by the end of the calendar year, but not in time for the start of the
school term in September. In December 1908, the contractor was paid additional
funds for Extra work done on the
|COLVIN RUN SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY LEAGUE|
In 1922, ownership of all schools
Improvements to the schools were
proposed and partially funded by neighborhood Community Leagues, who were
organized under the umbrella of the Virginia Cooperative Education Association.
This organization published the Community
League Bulletin to disseminate information to its members. Issues advanced
by the Association included increasing school attendance, child health, teacher
training, and school efficiency.
Perhaps it was the
The League also determined to have the electric lighting plant overhauled, so as to keep it in service until commercial electricity can be obtained from the Virginia Public Service Company.
During the summer break of 1927, the League planned improvements, including covering of the walls of the school auditorium with a coat of hard oil. The walls of the auditorium are currently finished with wood paneling; hence the oil may have been used to maintain the wood. To help in paying for the improvements, the Dramatic Club held an old-fashioned square dance that earned $60, and the Home Improvement Committee held a bazaar that took in $12. Improvements also included erecting a flag pole in front of the school. Messrs J. A. Wheeler and E. W. Follen were appointed a committee to have the flag pole positioned into place.  A significant amount of the work was put out for bid, including painting the auditorium, hallway, and classrooms. All desks were to be renovated and the blackboards resurfaced. Bids for the work were opened at a special meeting of the Colvin Run Community League, and the bid from H. H. Huffman for $235.75 was accepted. The profits from two additional dances organized by the Dramatic Club raised $49.55 for use in painting the schoolhouse. The League also raised funds in August 1927 by holding a carnival with dancing, games, and other amusements.
Throughout 1928, the League
continued to raise money and make improvements to the
|CLOSING COLVIN RUN SCHOOL|
Attendance at the
In 1931, the Fairfax County
School Board, under the authority of the Circuit Court, sold abandoned schools,
|FORMATION OF THE COLVIN RUN CITIZEN’S ASSOCIATION|
The Colvin Run Citizen’s Association,
Incorporated was formed to sponsor purchase of the Colvin Run schoolhouse for
To pay the purchase price of the
schoolhouse and lot, thirteen promissory notes, numbered 1 to 13, were signed
by members of the Association. The first eleven were for $200, and the last two
were for $100. The notes were payable by the following people: 1: Leonard
Brown; 2: James H. Coulter; 3: J.
From the beginning of its formation, the Colvin Run Citizen’s Association desired to make improvements to the schoolhouse to rehabilitate it into a community hall. Following a traditional fund-raising venture, the Association began with a carnival to raise funds.
Today, the hall is known as the
 Dranesville District School Board Minutes, March 27, 1908, Microfilm, VA Room, Fairfax County Public Library.
 Dranesville District School Board Minutes, June 01, 1908, Microfilm, VA Room, Fairfax County Public Library, p. 16.
 Dranesville District School Board Minutes, August 05, 1908, Microfilm, VA Room, Fairfax County Public Library, p. 19.
 Dranesville District School Board Minutes, November 1908, Microfilm, VA Room, Fairfax County Public Library, p. 22.
 Dranesville District School Board Minutes, March 10, 1910, Microfilm, VA Room, Fairfax County Public Library, p. 28.
 FX DB Z8(208):80, August 30, 1922.
Virginia Congress of Parents and Teachers, Milestones,
A History of
 Herndon Observer, July 16, 1931, p. 1;
 Herndon Observer, June 17, 1926, p. 1.
 Herndon Observer, August 04, 1927, p. 1.
 Herndon Observer, August 18, 1927, p. 1.
 Herndon Observer, September 29, 1929, p. 1.
 FX DB Z10(260):395, October 30, 1931.
 Herndon Observer, July 23, 1931, p. 3.
 FX DB Z10(260):397, November 2, 1931.
 Herndon Observer, July 23, 1931, p. 3.